The Cambridge Public Library, a branch of East Central Regional Library, has received a grant from the Cambridge ACT on Alzheimer’s group to purchase resources on Alzheimer’s disease, dementia, care-giving, and brain health, to increase awareness and provide support information in order to create a dementia-friendly community. In addition to purchasing books, DVDs, and books on CD, East Central Regional Library seeks to be proactive in stimulating and engaging the brain.
With this grant funding, East Central Regional Library has developed 18 Brain Fitness Kits. Studies have shown a direct link between playing games and retaining brain functions. Each Brain Fitness Kit contain 4 games, recommended by the Alzheimer’s Association and Mayo Clinic as being designed to keep or build brain power. The kits were created with this purpose, but all ages will enjoy the games.
- Brain Fitness Kits are available for checkout to any registered card holder of East Central Regional Library in good standing.
- Brain Fitness Kits can be checked out for 3 weeks.
- Brain Fitness Kits can be renewed once, if no one else has requested the kit.
- Brain Fitness Kits can be searched for and requested via the ECRL catalog.
- Details of the games in each kit are listed in the Catalog and in the Kit Guide below.
- Kits must be returned to any branch during open hours, as they do not fit in book returns.